About Karen Feld
Karen Feld Professional Journalist
Meet Karen Feld. Then meet her service pup, Bellini, who is always ready for a close-up.
Based in Washington, D.C., New York City, and Portland, ME, Karen is an award-winning, prolific columnist, editor and lecturer who is a frequent radio and TV guest. For more than 40 years, she has covered culture and politics, theater and art, health and travel. Karen’s news and feature reporting spans the media landscape with a distinctive storytelling style mirrored in her fine art sculpture.
Today, Karen is a contributing writer for NYCityWoman.com, PoliticalMavens.com, JewishWorldReview.com and freelances for a variety of other publications. She is also a top reviewer on TripAdvisor, using the moniker Servicedog2014.
Radio and TV Personality
Karen was a recurring guest on many popular TV shows, and her syndicated Capital Connections® radio segment aired for years on Radio America’s “Dateline Washington.” Karen’s radio show, “Medicine Today,” was broadcast on the “Voice of America.”
Karen has appeared regularly on these TV shows and networks:
- “The Joan Rivers Show”
- “The Sally Show”
- “George & Alana”
- “The Maury Povich Show”
- “Inside Edition”
- “FlipSide with Susan Molinari”
- “Red White & Views with Cal Thomas”
- PBS’s “This is America with Dennis Wholey”
- Fox News Channel
- America’s Voice
- “Reporter’s Notebook” (WRC-TV, Washington, D.C.)
- “Reporter’s Roundtable” (D.C. cable)
Karen hosted several radio talk shows and guests on hundreds of radio shows, including:
- “The Jim Bohannon Show”
- “Capitol Line with Blanquita Cullum”
- “The Oliver North Show”
- Karen also hosted a twice weekly show called “Medicine Today” on Voice of America for several years.
- Clear Channel – Washington, D.C.
- “Battle Line with Alan Nathan”
Karen penned a syndicated column on the Washington-Hollywood connection under the Capital Connections® brand. She launched The Buzz column in The Washington Examiner. Politicalmavens.com named her a Fellow. She served as Washington editor of a Delta Airlines in-flight magazine; Editor of Washington Flyer and Incentive Travel Manager. She’s a contributor to AllwaysTraveller.com, WorldNomads.com and a top reviewer on Trip Advisor.
Karen’s work has appeared in numerous national publications and websites:
- Family Circle
- USA Weekend
- Delta Sky
- Campaigns and Elections
- Golf Digest Woman
- The Hill
- Roll Call
- The Washington Times
- The Baltimore Sun
- Cleveland Plain Dealer
- Chicago Tribune
- The Washington Post
- The Los Angeles Times
- The Boston Globe
- The San Jose Mercury News
- Orlando Sentinel
- The Dallas Morning News
- PACE Communications
- Miles Media
Lectures, celebrity outreach, consulting and special events
Karen is a popular personality on the lecture circuit and guarantees a timely, original and engaging presentation for corporate, student or cruise-ship audiences.
Karen can also help with a book tour, product launch, advocacy or coaching you on surefire ways to handle media questions. Karen can open doors to get you on the A-list and share successful tips for ice-breaking conversation. Need a politician or celebrity to support your event or cause? Karen can help.
To learn more about Karen as a speaker, click here.
Karen has received numerous awards for Excellence in Journalism from the following professional organizations:
Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
- 2019 winner in Society of Professional Journalists Dateline Awards
- Political Commentary in Print, Daily Reporting, Excellence in Journalism, Art Criticism, Local News Story, Online Feature, Editorial Writing, Feature Writing, Outstanding Journalism on the Web.
National Federation of Press Women (NFPW)
- 2020 National Federation of Press Women Communications Contest national award.
- 2020 National Federation of Press Women First Place Award Winner: Specialty Articles, Physical Health (“The Magic of Mentoring: Kids, Youth and Horses Partners in Healing”)
- 2020 National Federation of Press Women Honorable Mention: Specialty Articles, Arts and Entertainment (“What We Learned When Harper Played Golda”)
- 2019 National Federation of Press Women Communications Contest: Won three national awards: First place for on-line Feature; also Specialty articles in Sports and Travel.
- 1st Place at-large for Specialty Travel Articles (2017): Karen’s winning articles are published in New York Lifestyles Magazine.
— “These travel pieces are outstanding.”
— “‘A Diamond Discovered in Erstwhile Barracks,’ about an off-the-beaten-path Island Inn in Maine, is loaded with details and includes just enough of the area’s rich history to inform readers and entice them to venture a visit.”
— “‘Singer Island: Your Ticket to Paradise’ explores a little-known resort in a familiar destination, off of Palm Beach, Florida – the content is well-organized and lively and the imagery is vivid.”
- 1st Place for Feature Story in an Online Publication (2017): Karen’s winning article, “The Fear of Voting (It’s a Thing)” is published in the online publication, LifeZette.com.
— “This article stands out for me because it presents an unusual aspect of voting. I would hazard to guess few people consider this when thinking about the realm of anxiety. The beginning talks about the conditions in which this anxiety can manifest. The quotes from real people as well as a professional giving tips really rounds out this. It’s is an easy-to-understand article that pulls you through to the mysterious conclusion of what can one do about this? I can see myself wanting to read more about the effects of this on the political system. Well done!”
- Three Special Awards: National Communications Contest Sweepstake Award for winning the most awards from the organization; Communicator as Entrepreneur; and 35-year Milestone Membership Award.
- Additional Awards: Editorial/Opinion on-line publication, Personality Profile, Feature Story, Theater Reviews, Personal Column, News Story, Broadcasting, Outstanding Journalism on the Web, Web Commentary, TV Presentation, TV Interview, Radio Interview, TV Talk Show, Radio Prepared Report (News), Radio Prepared Report (Features), Web Pages/Feature Story, News Program, Web Pages/Electronic Media Kit, Speeches.
North American Travel Journalists Association (NATJA)
- Destination Travel Magazine Feature
American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA)
- Magazine Feature Story
American Chiropractic Association
- Health Journalism Award
Capital Press Women (CPW)
- Feature Print General/Specialized, Personal Website, Special Articles, Non-daily newspaper, Personality Profile (Print), Speeches, Communicator as Entrepreneur, TV Prepared Report (News/Feature), Radio Personal Column of the Air, Radio Interview, Writing for the Web (News or Features), News Reporting (Print Non-daily), Editorial (Print Non-daily), Editorial (Print Daily), Feature/Print Non-daily, Photography and Writing, Photography Non-daily, Radio On-The-Scene Spot Report News, Radio On-The-Scene Spot Report Feature, Radio Prepared Report, Radio Special Programming, Radio Personal Column, Radio Interview or Talk Show, TV On-The-Scene Spot Report, TV Interview or Talk Show, TV Presentation, Web Site (Personal), Personal Columns, Web Pages/Electronic Media Kit, News Program, TV Interview or Talk Show, Web Pages/Feature Story, Feature Story for Internal Publication, Feature Story for General Circulation Magazine, Feature Story Newspaper.